MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN A TINY LIFE TODAY
The NICU at KGH is the only high-risk obstetrical centre for southeastern Ontario. We care for fragile newborns from Kingston, our region, and beyond.
- Kingston is one of only five communities in the province to offer such sophisticated, innovative high-risk neonatal care. Our unit is part of a provincial network of specialized neonatal services, with fourteen Level 2 and eight Level 3 (higher acuity) beds.
- We care for babies from Kingston and region, as well as from across the province when other NICUs are full.
- More than 400 newborn babies are admitted to our NICU each year. We have an average occupancy rate of 108% and the number of admissions is expected to rise over the next decade.
- Our dedicated and innovative NICU medical team strives to ensure all babies in our care have the best possible start in life.
- The revitalized NICU will feature a private room for each baby and the most advanced technology in all aspects of care, with superior infection control as a top priority.
- A new Family Room will offer a space for parents of fragile newborns to connect with and support each other. It will also offer laundry, shower and kitchenette facilities for extended visits.
- A new in-unit Care-By-Parent Room will help ensure parents have access to guidance from the care team, as they work to acquire the skills and confidence needed to look after their little one at home.
- There is also a Bereavement Room, designed to help families saying goodbye to their baby, by providing a respectful, supportive space that includes additional sleeping accommodations for extended family.
“Our tiny patients and their families need an environment that better supports family involvement in care. We know that care-by-parent produces the best long-term health outcomes for premature and critically ill newborns. We have to create a care space that gives families the privacy, the physical supports and the crucial amenities that allow them to be involved to the full extent they are able.”- Dr. Robert Connelly, Neonatologist and Department Head, Pediatrics, Kingston Health Sciences Centre
Your generosity can save lives today.